In the last two months, I’ve woken up earlier than I have every morning than I probably have in my life time!
Normally, I like sleeping in until my body wakes me up. Which is around the 9-10am mark. Which is nice. But since starting my part-time ESL job, I’ve been waking up around 4:30-5am. I know what you are probably thinking… something along the lines of “Girl, there’s no way!!”
I’ve never been much of a morning person, but this is me REALLY early in the morning. My teaching schedule has changed up my waking schedule.
For the longest time, I’ve really wanted to do the Miracle Morning. I’ve read the book.
You’ve heard of Hal Elrod’s book, right? It’s so good. And I totally see how having that kind of morning routine would totally set you up for success.
I recently read that “one sleeps for one third of one’s life” (when sleeping 8 hours a night.) Which when you do the math, ends up being about 25 years (if you live to be 75.)
Isn’t that crazy. And now, imagine if you waste more than 7-8 hours a night sleeping?
How many more years are you wasting?
Teaching ESL in the early morning, has pushed me to get up earlier. I will continue this practice and start implementing more of a morning routine into it.
Some Things I’ve Learned Before The Rest Of The World Is Even Awake
Here are some of the things I’ve learned, recently. I’m also going to include some of the things I’m going to change to create a restful morning routine.
1.) That you have to go to bed earlier. (You end up feeling WIPED, if you don’t go to bed earlier. Since my first class is usually around 5am. I’m aiming to be in bed by 9pm realistically.)
2.) When you wake up that early, you are up before most of the world. And it’s still quiet out. Most people have only been sleeping for 3-4 hours. Which means you are 4-5 hours ahead of those people, who are still in their beds.
3.) Creating a morning routine is a MUST. This is something I’m still working on since this is my second month of waking up around 4-5am. Some things I’d like to implement into my morning routine are:
- 30 minutes of exercise (I’m thinking along the lines of a yoga or pilates workout at home. Or running outside. When it’s not FREEZING. Like it is now. In North Dakota, as I write this, it’s -25 without wind shield. BUT, with the darn wind it’s -55. UFFDA!)
- Eating a delicious breakfast with my husband at our breakfast table. (At the moment, we don’t really eat breakfast. This is another goal of mine for the year, I really want to cook more home cooked meals and feel like a better cook!)
- Meditating (During this time I’ll spend time in prayer, journalling, reading the Bible.)
- Reading (I want to be reading many more books than I have been. To be a successful author, I need to be reading WAY more.)
- Writing (To be a writer… I actually need to write, right? haha) So every morning I plan to focus my energy and write for 2 hours on my current writing projects. This doesn’t include my blogging. I clump-write blog posts once a week, on Wednesdays. I call them my “Writing Wednesdays.”
4.) It’s important to create a morning (and day) schedule. Before and while writing this blog post I found myself thinking about when I want to be doing different things throughout my day.
While teaching in the AM, my schedule will look a little more like this:
- Wake at 4 am.
- Workout at 4:15-4:45 am
- Teach at 5 am, 5:30 am, 6 am, and 6:30 am
- Prayer and Bible study at 7 am
- Make breakfast at 7:30 am
- Eat breakfast at 8 am
- Write from 9-11 am
For mornings where I’m not teaching, I plan to do it a little more like:
- Wake at 4am. (Yes, I’m going to keep this up and then test and see how it goes.)
- Have a cup of tea and do my Bible Study by the fireplace at 4:30 am.
- Workout at 5:00 am.
- Shower and get ready for the day at 5:30 am.
- Make breakfast at 6am
- Eat at 6:30 am
- Write from 7-9am
As you can see the schedules are a little different. But I’ve found that if you don’t account each hour that sooner or later that time will drift away and you’ll be wondering where that time went! Same thing with money, if you don’t place it somewhere it’ll vanish.
That’s something I want to be really mindful about this year, because I have a lot to accomplish.
5.) That you get WAY more done during the day when you start your day before everyone else. Accomplishing your dreams will be a piece of cake when you put your hours into it. And that means making time for your dreams and goals so that they aren’t just ideas. So that your dreams become a reality!
What about you? When do you wake up? And What is your morning routine?