VIPKID is an amazing company to work for as an independent contractor. You set your hours and choose the times that work for you, and then parents book you to teach their children. It’s seriously so smart!
What Are The Teacher Requirements?
I always like covering the teaching requirements first.
If you want to teach with VIPKID, I’ll help you through the entire hiring process. It’s been such a great way for me to bring in extra income so we cane save and pay off things. Honestly, you make anywhere in the $600-$2,000 a month range.
PLUS, I believe VIPKID has some wonderful bragging rights. In 2018, they were mentioned by Forbes as the #1 remote job!! I’m so happy I get to represent them and know that my company is ranked #1!! Absolutely love it! Another great thing I love about this job, is you can do it from anywhere. So you can travel and work from anywhere as long as you have internet and your computer. I’ll be teaching from South Africa in February!
Requirements to work for VIPKID:
- You must have a Bachelor’s Degree
- Be a North American Native English speaker
- Have a right to work in either America or Canada
- Experience teaching or working with children
- Computer and good internet
What You Need To Know Before Applying
The application process for me took about a week. I got hired right before Christmas and it seriously has helped us in so many ways!
The process may look a little intense, but I promise it’s so much easier than it may look.
- First, sign up to become a teacher: Sign up here and I’ll help you through the application process. It usually takes them about 24 hours to screen the application. Sometimes it takes less. And if my code isn’t automatically filled in, here is my code: DEVIN0027
- Next, you’ll either record an interview, do a 1-on-1 interview with a VIPKID staff worker (they will pretend to be a 5-year-old Chinese student with limited English.) OR, you’ll be invited to do the interview express (which is what I did).
If you are invited to do the Interview Express, all you’ll have to do is:
- Take an online quiz that has 7-multiple choice questions. (You might be thinking, really? A quiz? I promise, it’s not a hard one. And you can take it as many times as you need to, in order to pass it. Yay, for open book tests!) The quiz will just cover the basics of ESL teaching skills.
- And then shoot a three-minute video. (The video can be shot from your computer, tablet, or even your smartphone.)
- What needs to be in my 3-minute demo:
- Share a short self introduction (Tell about who you are, where you are from, education background, your teaching experience, and when you’d love to start.
- Complete the activities that are in the Power Point slides. (Basically, you’ll teach a short lesson.) The lesson will be in your invitation email to do the Interview Express.
- What needs to be in my 3-minute demo:
- Then you’ll send it to them as an attachment, or, if your file ends up being too large, you can upload it to YouTube/Google Cloud/Dropbox/ and send the video to their email.
This is what I did for my demo video. It’s super simple:
Once you get your “Congrats on passing interview!” email, you’ll see how much they will pay you per class (the base rate.) Every class is 25-28 minutes long. So you’ll make double the base rate per hour. Once you’ve made it to this spot in the application process, you are safe. Now, you just have to prepare and practice for the certification level you’d like to teach.
Things You’ll Need To Know For Your Demo, Mock Classes, And Actual Classes
If you taught in a brick and mortar school, they you probably know some of these, but for people who never taught in a traditional school setting like I did. You will find this helpful:
1.) Make sure you use TPR.
TPR is total physical response. It’s total body movements for words and actions you are trying to teach your students.
I talk about TPR and show some examples in the video I’ve included below.
2.) Use props and flash cards.
This can include your children’s toys, actual examples like a real apple or banana to show the word apple.
3.) A head set or an apple ear bud set with a mic attached.
Any other ear phone or ear bud is allowed.
4.) A fun and inviting classroom.
I’ll cover more on classrooms here in a bit. Make sure you have good lighting.
5.) Speak slowly.
You speak much faster than you may think. Slow it down so the students can fully understand you and what you’re asking.
Which Level Certification Will Allow Me To Get The Most Bookings
I recommend getting certified in Interactive Level 2. We have THE MOST students in that level.
You have to get at least one certification before you can sign your contract. (Contracts are good for 6 months) and then when the contract is up, they will send you an invitation to extend it for another 6 months!
Can I Get More Than 1 Certification?
Yes, you can. There are two ways you can do it
Before you sign your contract:
1.) After you go through your mock classes and pass, allowing you to get your first certification, you can prepare for another level certification and do another mock class before you sign your contract.
2.) After getting your first certification, you can sign the contract. And then you can study another certification and then video record a 10-minute recording of your lesson in the classroom.
The more certifications you have, the more you’ll show up to parents. But I really am glad I did option two. I always got nervous when doing the mock classes. There is just something about teaching an adult who is acting like a 5-year-old. But who clearly isn’t a 5-year-old.
I wanted to start teaching as soon as possible so that’s why I went with the second option.
Other certifications I recommend getting:
- Interactive Level 2
- Level 3
- Trial Level 3.0 (If your trial student signs up for VIPKID, you also get paid a $5 bonus on top of your class base rate. So that’s nice!!)
These three are my FAVES to teach!
Here’s the video I did for the Life Writing Wanderlust Vlog this week:
Want to work for VIPKID and make some extra income? I’ll help you through the application process when you sign up through my link!
Application link: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/mkt/landing/personal?referralToken=2890f4f2e0d3241e7e4f8af11263f0cd&refereeId=25410889
If the referral code doesn’t show up automatically, you can enter it. Here is my referral code: DEVIN0027