Over the past couple of weeks here, we’ve been having character conversations (for the character convos intro, click here) where we talk about creating and writing believable characters and how to make them come to life.
You’ve learned different steps and tips on how to create unique characters that feel real, even if they are fantastical.
A couple weeks ago, you learned how to create a character from yourself.
Today you’ll learn how to create characters from nothing. That statement might come off as a bit strange, but what I mean is… that you are going to learn how to create characters from your imagination and how to look for characters in your daily life.
Alright, Let’s Begin Creating Memorable Characters
1. First off, where do you get inspired?
Brainstorm a couple of the different places.
Here are mine: the woods, the mountains, and on road trips with people I enjoy.
2. Now pick one of those places. (I will pick the woods. Wish I could go to the woods right now. So restful.) What place would you choose? Where would you go?
3. When you are in that place, sit down, shut your eyes, and listen. What do you feel? What do you hear?
4. After sitting there for awhile, take out a notebook and write those things down. What you were feeling? What you heard?
5. Ask yourself questions like:”What kind of characters live here?” (My Example: Trees live here.)
6. Create a character from your choice.
For me, my character is going to be a tree.
Now, it’s time to ask the question that all writers ask, which is: “What if?”
– What if trees could talk?
– What if trees were filled with wisdom from the history they’ve seen?
– What if trees were protectors of man kind, I mean they do give us oxygen to breathe?
Write all your “What if” questions on paper.
Now… write about your character. Write a paragraph about them. Put them in their setting and give them some thoughts and maybe even a conversation.
A meeting only happens once a month, when the whole moon brightens up the sky. A tall hooded figure walks through the forest. His long cape trails on the forest ground amongst the foliage. With each step, he took the ground lit up with more vibrance. The greens became greener. The pink flowers shown brighter. Once into the middle of the forest he stopped. Wind whispered through the forest, shaking the leaves of the trees around him.
“I know.” he said, as if he were speaking to them. In a matter of moments four other tall men in hooded capes appeared around him.
“What are we going to discuss this month, King Spruce?” Elmwood King asked.
“There’s been a disturbance in the world. A pain. The creatures have been fighting and peace has been fleeting. How shall we help them see what’s important?”
What paragraph did you write? What character came alive?