Every year, I choose a word that I’m going to strive for in the NEW year! Last year my word was Elevate. 2018 was a wonderful year, but I know that 2019 is going to be more dazzling and brilliant!
So for 2019, my word is: Free.
Two years ago, I worked at a company where they gave all their employees a copy of One Word – that will change your life. Which, I honestly thought was the best thing a company could do. I love this book so much, that I read it every year in December/January to help me think through what all I went through the prior year, what goals and dreams I have for the NEW year, and how to improve myself from the year before.
I know that someday when I hire employees, I will purchase this book for them as well!
There are six quadrants where your ONE WORD, will help you succeed in life. Here are those areas:
So I sat down in between the classes I taught and wrote down these six categories on a sheet of legal paper.
This is what I came up with
- This year I really want to pump up my spiritual life more. I’ve already started meditating more. But this year, I really want to focus on reading my Bible and praying daily.
- I’d also really love for Johan and I to find a home church and a weekly Bible study. We’ve been on the hunt this year, but it’s been hard to find one because we travel a lot and are out of town on the weekends sometimes.
- Get back to a healthy weight.
- Be able to move easily in workout and yoga classes.
- Get decluttered. We’ve already started decluttering with 2 large mountains of clothing Marie Condo style. I’ve got another blog coming on that soon. But I want to get rid of more. I feel like it’s an addiction. I think what got me on this, was a quote I saw on Facebook. It said, “Look around, all that stuff, used to be money.” Isn’t that insane? I could do with less of this stuff. And more money.
- Less screen time.
- I want to start making good meals that are healthy for me and my hubby. And part of this is wanting to make yummy and healthy meals that we love eating. (A pantry closet cook-off challenge is coming in the near future. When I was reading Dani Johnson’s book First Steps To Wealth, she talked a lot about how a lot of people don’t see their uneaten food items in their pantry as money. SO TRUE. We have money sitting in our pantry that we need to eat up. So Johan and I will be doing a challenge this year. We haven’t figured out what month, but when we do the challenge, we won’t buy anything new from the grocery store except for meat when it’s needed, milk, and eggs. But other than that, it’s just what we have in our pantry and freezer.)
- I really want to focus on my emotional health. I deal with worry, and it’s something I’ve dealt with since I was young. So it’s been an ongoing journey to become my best self emotionally. This year I want to focus on doing mantras and more focused meditation.
- As a young girl, I used to journal every day. That’s something I really want to focus on this year. I want to get back to writing every day about my thoughts, life, and goals.
- That I give my best self to my family and friends.
- This might sound small, but I want us to start eating supper at the dinner table. In 2018, it was just WAY too easy to drop our tired bodies in front of the TV to eat. This year, is going to be all about relationship around the table.
- I also want Johan and I to meet some “bosom friends” as Anne of Green Gables said. A couple of great “couple” friends.
- I want to host a couple game nights and also host a Friendsgiving this year. Exciting, right?
- Go to the chiropractor and massage therapist on a more regular basis. For both me and Johan.
- Continue going to the yoga studio. (Lately, I’ve gone to a yoga studio and I’ve found I’ve been getting a better workout than I get when I go to the gym where I have a trainer. I feel like some of my yoga instructors are like military generals compared to my coach.) So, when our gym membership runs out, I won’t be renewing it. And on top of that, I’ll be saving up for a home gym in our first house.
- Be financially free! We will do something to celebrate this. I’ll also do a blog post about what financial freedom means to me and to Johan. I’ll interview him so you can get a man’s point of view as well!
- Build up our emergency fund to $15,000
- Save up enough for our first house. (We’ve been contemplating the idea of either buying a a duplex or two townhomes and living in one, while renting the other out to someone else.)
- Save up for a trip or two (preferably to one of these places: Mexico, Italy, Hawaii, or Germany/Europe)
Of Course That’s Not Everything…
I’m going to break down my goals for each month. And share what we’ve accomplished and what we are still aiming to accomplish.
My word for 2019 is FREE. Just so that we can reach that FREE feeling when it comes to physical and emotional health, as well as financial freedom.
January Goals – Broken Down
- Find our home church
- Read the Bible daily
- Pray and journal daily
- Lose 5 pounds
- The Pantry Closet Cook-Off Challenge – Use everything in our pantry and freezer to cook meals until we are out of things.
My Novel Writing
I really want to work harder on my writing goals this year. So I am going to aim to finish a rough draft of the book I’ve been working on so that it’s done by February. (February, we are taking a small vacation to visit family in South Africa.)
- I’ll write for 2 hours a day.
Blogging, Vlogging, and Podcasting
- Write new blog posts every Wednesday. Publish 2 blog posts a week.
- Shoot and edit 1 video a week for Youtube.
- Start drafting up ideas for the Life Writing Wanderlust Podcast. YAY, right??
Since health helps your emotions stay in check and also helps you lose weight, I really want to aim at going to the gym (And using up the rest of our membership *ONLY HAVE 5 MONTHS LEFT*) 3 times a week.
- Lose 5-10 pounds
- Make healthy meals
- Find out and document what causes my eczema
- Drink more water
- Start with saving up $1000 this month.
- Do five Mary Kay parties.
Teaching with VIPKID & GO GO KID
- Bring on 5 new VIPKID teachers. (Want to make extra money to make some extra spending cash, to save up for a trip, or pay off debt? Being an online teacher is wonderful. The requirements: You speak American English, Live in Canada or the USA, have a Bachelors Degree, Experience teaching or working with children, and good internet and a computer! Sign up here and I’ll help you with your application process! My code is: DEVIN0027
- Bring on 2 Go Go Kid teachers. (Go Go Kid is a 1 year old company and VIPKID is 5 years old. They are both wonderful companies!) If you are interested in signing up to teach here too, I can help you through the application process too when you sign up here! My code is: 8RZ45JWA
- Do three all nighters (from 9pm to 7am) of teaching online! This is such a wonderful way to bring money in from home! 🙂
So Many Exciting Things Coming
What are your goals for the New Year? And what is your word of the year? I’ll update you all on my goals for this year as I accomplish more!