This week I decided to take a break from social media. Sometimes you need to get away from technology in a way that will allow you to relax and rejuvenate, while also growing your imagination.
Remember when you were little and you’d go outside to play. Everything was magical. For me, the swings turned into majestic flying horses and sticks became swords to defend ourselves with against the bad guys.
I remember that in high school I never had to worry about looking at Facebook, Twitter, and all other forms of social media.
Plus, every time I go out to eat, I see couples and family together yet divided by the small devices, (technology) which is actually sad. The original goal of eating out with your family is to go out to eat and spend some lovely time with your family and friends around you.
And then when you take out your phone, you are showing those around you that they don’t matter. Even if you set your phone on the table. It’s still giving people the sign that you can’t live without your tech.
Some Things To Try When Cutting Back On Technology
- Next time, try leaving your phone in your purse or jacket pocket. Challenge yourself not to touch it.
- Charge your phone away from the bed. The light from screens make it hard to get good sleep.
- Schedule 2-3 times a day to check your phone. (Instead of the average 15 times that people usually check their email in a day.)
- Once you get home from work put your phone away and give your undivided attention to your family.
- Set a challenge for yourself to stay off of social media for a given amount of time.
What are some different things that you do to cut back on tech so you don’t miss out on life?