Want to flesh out your characters in a fun way? Ever thought of free writing your characters thoughts? We’ve all at one time or another done that character sketch that they taught in high school. The one that asked a ton of questions like:
•What hair color?
•Does he/she have any scars?
I promise this isn’t the same kind of free writing exercise. Character sketches never really helped me much. I found them a bit boring. It made them seem like a homework assignment rather than a real person.
This writing exercise will help you grow into a writer that knows their characters on another layer.
When I free write my character’s thoughts in the form of journaling it really gets me into their heads.
They seem like they are REAL. Well, they are… they are inside your head. Get to know your characters better by doing this free writing exercise.
Sit down for 30 minutes and free write to these questions from the POV (Point of View) of your characters. Start with your protagonist and move on to the other characters.
Get to know your characters by asking them these questions:
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- What trait do you hate most in yourself?
- What trait do you hate most in others?
- What is your greatest fear?
- Which person do you admire most? And why?
- I’m disgusted with…
- What is an overrated virtue?
- What do you dislike about your appearance?
- Which person do you despise?
- What do you like most in your significant other?
- What are your pet peeves?
- What are your favorite words?
- Who is the love of your life?
- When were you the happiest?
- What are your talents?
- What is a magic power you wish you had?
- Tell us a little about your childhood…
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What is your greatest achievement?
- If you were to die and come back someone, who would it be?
- Where do you live?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What is your occupation?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Who are your best friends?
- Who do you most identify with?
- Who are your heroes?
- What do you regret?
- What is your life motto?